This recipe was originally from a VegNews recipe. The only alteration I made was that I added more salt (because I like my cookies salty). They were a huge hit!
What You Need:
* 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
* 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 2/3 cup unbleached sugar
* 2/3 cup non-hydrogenated shortening
* 2 tablespoons molasses
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
* 1 tablespoon flax meal + 3 tablespoons water mixed together
* 1 cup rolled oats
* 2/3 cup dried cranberries
* 2/3 cup chopped pecans
* 1/2 cup chocolate chips
* 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
What You Do:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a thin layer of oil.
2. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl, cream together sugar and shortening. Add molasses, vanilla, and flax mixture to creamed shortening and mix well. Combine the dry ingredients with the wet and mix together.
3. Fold in oats, fruit, nuts, chocolate chips, and coconut. If dough is too stiff to stir, add as much as 1 tablespoon of water.
4. Measure cookies out with a heaping tablespoon and flatten slightly. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until lightly brown at edges. Store in a covered container to keep chewy.
mOMent: If all possibilities were available to you today, what would you choose?